Cupcakes in Review
Notes on the Vegan Chocolate Ginger Orange Cupcakes:
1. They rock! Vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores alike enjoyed these delights.
2. They are rather on the crumbly side — cupcake liners are a must.
3. A single recipe would make about 1 1/2 dozen standard-sized cupcakes. (I doubled it. There was much cupcakery.)
4. Definitely use coffee instead of water.
5. If you share my aversion to using margarine, you can whip up a simple cream cheese icing instead:
– 8 oz. package of cream cheese (really, get the good stuff)
– 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
– 1/2 cup or so of unsweetened cocoa powder (I’m not partial to measuring, most of the time)
– (optional) a tbsp of milk OR a tbsp or orange juice AND/OR a tsp of vanilla*
Whip it all together, one cup of powdered goods at a time. (This makes up a fair bit of icing, and I reckon if you’re not heavy on icing, you could easily halve the recipe and have enough. I set the icing on the side, and there was much left over, either because not everyone wanted icing, or because there was just too darn much.)
6. Note to self: In our oven, these had to bake for about 20 minutes at 375F.
No photos to share, as these were made late last night, and eaten up during school today. (sorry!)
*M tried the icing before I added the OJ and vanilla, and then again after. He preferred it without the added juice and vanilla. His reason? He prefers the icing to be a bit of a contrast to the cake (good point). I thought the vanilla posed a conflict of interest in the cocoa-ness of it all, and would skip it the next time ’round.